Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Flashmob Kids

When we visited Humayan’s tomb, there were many groups of school children visiting at the same time.  The children of India are absolutely precious.  They are for the most part polite and well-mannered and very friendly. 



The cultural norms for male and female behavior in public became astonishingly apparent as soon as I began interacting with the kids.  As these school groups would pass by us, the little girls would smile shyly at us and a few would wave. 



The boys would all wave and say hello and reach out to shake your hand. Polite, orderly and friendly - until I waved a camera at them.  The instant I raised my camera to take their pictures, pandemonium ensued.  It was an all-boy flashmob.  Suddenly I was Cecil B. DeMille and they were all ready for their close-up.  Still friendly, but absolutely clamoring to be photographed by an American woman.  I loved it, they loved it and I seem to have made a lot of new friends who all wanted to shake my hand after I had given them their moment of camera time.  Here are a few of my new friends.












No comments:

Post a Comment